Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Last day at SIGGRAPH for me

I started the day off with brunch at the Dublin Square Irish pub. Fish and chips. Then off to the conference for my last day. Had to go back to the exhibits hall to find autostereoscopic displays. Finally found them. Only one vendor at SIGGRAPH apparently. Interesting technology that I'm not quite familiar with yet. You don't need shutter glasses but you need to be at a certain viewing position. There are cameras to track your eyes, but I think only to estimate where your head is in space in relation to the display, but not what you're looking at. Interesting.

Then one more stroll on the floor. Came across the Springer bookstore. Say, that looks like a good book there on the 3rd shelf from the bottom. Yup, it's a new edition. A little farther down there was this green Mustang. I'm not quite sure what it was doing there. One guy said it's just so that you can compare their rendered image with the real thing. I dunno; I think they were just showing off. Then it was off to the paper session on Perception and Color. Pretty decent talks on perceptual metrics and psychophysics experiments.

After that paper session I'm now basically done with SIGGRAPH. Tonight it's the reception followed by the VICON party at The House of Blues. But before that I think I'll grab dinner where I've been eating all week: The Field. I think it's better to fill up prior to the reception. Eating at the reception usually amounts to queuing up for deep-fried finger food. Well, not always. SIGGRAPH has had good food before. I think in Boston there were pretty good Bratwurst dogs. But I don't think there was much in L.A. So you never know what to expect. As a student I used to "live off the land" as it was put to me, but these days I'd rather avoid the queues. I'll be in plenty tomorrow while in transit back home.

No comments: