Thursday, August 9, 2007

Chicago's O'Hare

This company has it right. We are hungry for bandwidth and there's nothing more irritating than a flaky net connection. My wifi signal strength indicator bars were up and down almost second to second in San Diego's airport. Most annoying. The hotel's connection in SD would also seize up from time to time. It seemed to happen when I heard the housekeeping staff rumble around outside my room (I think my room was next to some kind of supply room; maybe that's where the router was). Housekeeping probably unplugged the router to plug in their vacuum cleaner or something. Wouldn't surprise me. I think someone used to do something like this on a regular basis back in Texas when we still used coax. (Remember that? There were never enough of those T-connectors, eh?) The coax would snake around the room and I think there was some place where someone was kicking it or banging on it with a desk or chair leg.

Here I have the full strength 4 bars. I'm sitting at the gate at O'Hare waiting to board the plane on my last leg of the trip home. Flying across the US is a bit less tiring than the hop over the Atlantic. Especially when you break it nicely into two almost equal jumps. SD to O'Hare was about 4 hours. The last leg is about 2 I think. I ate breakfast in SD and had dinner here in the same restaurant we had dinner in when we flew to Warsaw. The entire trip takes the whole day, which is a bit of a drag since I won't get in till 11pm or so, but the long layovers are actually somewhat useful. You can eat, walk leisurely to your gate, and of course update yer blog.

No comments: