Friday, August 3, 2007

In Session

I thought playing in the studio would be less nerve-wracking than a live gig. It is and it isn't. One the one hand you can redo multiple takes. But not that many cause others are waiting and studio time costs money. On the other hand, when you make a mistake playing live, you hope no one hears it and you keep playing. You have to. Here, you goof up and every one sighs and tensions mount. At least for me since I'm not a particularly good drummer. I feel relieved that I finally got my tracks down. Now I can go back (I'm on dinner break) and watch the other guys sweat it out, ha ha. But I still have to tear down my kit, pack it up, and load it on the truck. So, I better get going so that I can do this before the rest of the band gets back and starts laying down the remaining tracks.

Studio work is an interesting experience. Somewhat tedious as well, particularly when redoing licks. Anyway, I also found out that the Hounds are scheduled to play an hour or so at Spitoono, a live concert later this month, followed up the very next day (a Friday) at 356. Not quite the football "First Friday" here at the university, but the actual first friday of the semester. The football "First Friday" might be a bigger party in town, but I suspect that the calendar first friday of the semester will probably be pretty good. Should be a decent crowd. But first, back to the studio...

No comments: