Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chapters Party

Went to the Chapters party last night. Typical SIGGRAPH. Yup, it often starts with people just standing there watching animations. Then you see some avante garde stuff that's hard to comprehend. The blurry pic is of this duo where one was wearing something on the head, tethered to the other via a fat cable and carrying a video camera. I didn't understand.

This last pic is of a model wearing a concealed light source outside the visible spectrum. Near-IR I think. You can see it in the pic because most modern cameras are sensitive to IR. Why that should be I don't know, but the point is that you could not see the glowing light on the model unless you took a picture, or just looked at her through your camera. I know because I asked the designer who accompanied the model. I actually knew the guy. He studied with a friend of mine in Canada then went down to the MIT media lab. I think he's going into fashion. Certainly natural to expect to find him at SIGGRAPH. I guess I'll go to Emerging Technologies, or eTech as they call it now, and look at more strange stuff.

No comments: