Saturday, August 4, 2007

Don't forget where you parked

Back again at GSP. I usually just head straight up to the 4th floor of the parkade. There's more room up there so that on my return when I get out of the elevator the car's right there.

First stop is DFW. It looks like a mall inside. Various shops and ok-looking restaurants and pubs. There was an Irish pub right by my gate. Alas, didn't have time for a quick Guiness. Connections were actually pretty close to each other so I didn't have to wait long.

Then on to San Diego. I think I've been here about 3 times now; SIGGRAPH, ETRA, SIGGRAPH. I finally managed to get a hotel that is right in the gaslamp district (where all the touristy restaurants are). Even though the first words out of the wide-eyed receptionist were "oh, we're all overbooked, sorry, tee hee!" The other girl at least wasn't quite as bubbly seeing how Mr. Joe Traveller here is about to get carted off to some other hotel even though he had made a reservation well in advance. I told her this was beginning very much like that Seinfeld episode where he quips that the hotel can take a reservation but not keep one. It was funny...when it happened to him. Anyway, the manager type with the walkie-talkie said he'd move stuff around and presto, I have a room in the same hotel wherein I made my reservations. With complimentary internet no less (I now actually shop around for that, believe it or not).

So there's the room. Your typical just-above-middle-class room I'd call it, too large by European standards. What do I need all this room for? I must have gotten used to the European squishy rooms where you have one bed almost touching the desk that's right next to the bathroom. Except the room in Warsaw, which was more typical of the US than of Europe. I guess I don't mind the large room, I just now consider it somewhat of a waste of space, but whatever. I would, however, gladly cut the living area in half for a quilt. That the Europeans do right. Whoever came up with the sheet/blanket combo?

Anyway, I'm all unpacked, ready for some ironing...but I have to step out to buy a cheap contact lens case. You'd think that with all this traveling I'd remember to bring mine, but I forgot it. D'oh!

No comments: