Friday, July 27, 2007

Tuebingen: Day 3

Brief entry since I have to quickly pack, eat breakfast, and head off to the conference; have to give my talk in the 2nd (last) session then come back to the hotel to grab my bags and head off to the train station, back to Zurich. The pics show two typical conference scenes: an oral presentation and the poster session. In some ways a poster is more work because quite often you end up talking more than you would given an oral presentation. Still, it's a good way to interact with your audience.

This last pic is also typical, and perhaps the main reason for holding the conference in the first place :) This happens to be lunch with friends of mine that I've known for a number of years. The conference is a great way to get together with cool people working on interesting stuff. A lot of info gets exchanged, contacts get made, etc. Later on in the day I would find myself once again with these fellows, and a few other people at the summer festival going on here in Tuebingen. No pics of that, sorry, but what it was was a bunch of town merchants (caterers and the like) putting up tented stands serving food and drink while the um-pa-pa band played off in the distance. Nice weather for this kind of thing and very popular. We happened to eat at a stand run by my hotel; I had some kind of "giant ravioli" dish with the raviolis stuffed with something creamy and trout apparently. I couldn't taste the trout, but it was good nonetheless. Ok, off to breakfast, then the conference, and back to Zurich; it's going to be a long day.

No comments: