Sunday, July 22, 2007

Self-Aware

On Sun Jul 22 20:56:16 EDT 2007 the blog became self-aware...

I wanted to make a grande entrance on the blogosphere as it were and Robert A. Heinlein's book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" came to mind. Although I think the Terminator movie(s) stole that particular line referring to Skynet, I've always remembered it about "Mike", the Luna computer that became self-aware. But I bet Heinlein wasn't the first to think up self-aware computers, either. Unfortunately I don't remember the specific quote, but I think it at least resembles the above sentence.

Back to this particular blog, now that it's been created. 20:56 EDT was actually 02:56 in Zurich, where I am presently. One of the anomalies of jet lag is waking up in the middle of the night thinking it's time to get up (or that you overslept). Since I was wide awake I thought I'd might as well start a blog. Seeing how I can now usually find a net connection wherever I go (it's about time, eh?), and since I usually have my laptop with me (email junkie), I thought I'd keep something of a brief, online journal of some of the places I visit. And maybe other stuff as well...more likely than not it'll include posts on eye tracking since that's often the reason why I'm traveling in the first place. At least those occasions when I have the laptop and am on the net.

The next few posts should include some pics of Zurich, just as soon as I figure out a convenient way to grab them off my phone, the only crappy camera I happen to have with me at the moment. Right now I think I'd better close this entry off since (as it so often happens) the net connection isn't all that reliable where I'm at and I'm not quite sure how this blogging thing's gonna go...

No comments: