Wednesday, July 25, 2007

On Track to Tuebingen

This is a "catch-up" post that I would have posted last night if the router in my Tuebingen hotel room wasn't flaking out. But more on that in the next post...this post is about the trek to Tuebingen. First, the street image is of Bahnhof Strasse in Zurich. A kind of ritzy shopping street. Look, it even has its own web page. My friend from the University of Zurich took me around to numerous shops as I was in search of yet another jacket. I saw a nice, light 3/4 raincoat in Schipol that I liked but thought the price too high (airport prices I was guessing). I eventually found it at this larger mall farther away from Bahnhof Strasse which was just as well. In the end it seemed like this particular mall had a better selection than the ritzy stores anyway, and probably better prices. A lot of sales were around (50-70%) but the jacket was not a sale item unfortunately. I don't have a photo of it but I expect to be wearing it later here for a bit (if it's not too hot; it is right now midday), and in Leicester and Prague later this year. After shopping I grabbed my bags, got on the tram, and off to the Zurich Hauptbahnhof to catch a pair of trains to Tuebingen. The train station is the large building in the 2nd shot, the train I caught is shown arriving behind the smiling railyard worker. Nice train, didn't get a shot of the interior. If there were two of us, I would have ventured around more, maybe brought some food back from the dining car. As it were I stayed close to the luggage. Maybe that's being too paranoid I dunno. I was about to have a snooze when a pile of what I guessed to be 10-12 year-olds clambered aboard. Man, were they loud! Throwing hats back and forth, running up and down the aisle, etc. Two hours later the train pulled in to Horb 2-3 minutes late. That's important because the way the trains operate (they stop at a station for 1-2 minutes, 5 at most) and how they schedule transfers (5 minutes to hop from one rail platform to another), there's not much wiggle room. So it was off to the races with luggage in tow to run underground to the next platform where the "Kultur Bahn" or something like that was already waiting. It was this little single-car train thingy that looked like it belonged on a city light-rail system instead of train tracks. However, it got me to Tuebingen which is where I am now. Next post will contain more stuff on this little "University town".

No comments: