Saturday, July 28, 2007

Planes, Trains, and Automobile(s)

Corny title, but...accurate. Pics include the Zurich Hauptbahnhof, outside and the main board inside. How the trains work: you buy a ticket, either from the agent or kiosk (ATM-like kiosk). The ticket is either a specific route (e.g., Zurich to Tuebingen, one way or return) or covers city zones (e.g., in Zurich downtown is zone 10 and you need zone 10 + 1 to get to the airport). For zone-covering tickets you need a duration as well. I had a 24 hr ticket to cover travel on trams and trains. Once you have your ticket you look on the board to find your train (to Flughafen in this case) and look to see what time it leaves and from what platform. You have to be quick cause the trains only sit there for a few minutes. The third pic is already from Schipol, Amsterdam's airport as I was boarding the flight to DTW (Detroit). That's where I am now but have to end since I now need to board the flight to GSP. Airport hotspots are useful for these blog updates as well as catching up to email. I just downloaded that COGAIN paper from the author I met at APGV so I think I now have all my material for the keynote. I put in a few slides on the plane to Detroit. Doubt I'll get anything done on the last leg though. It should only be an hour or two. Then it's an hour drive home and I'm done!

No comments: