Thursday, April 2, 2009

Schloss Nymphenburg

After the Alte Pinkothek, I hopped on the tram to get to the Schloss Nymphenburg. It reminded me of Willa Nova outside Warsaw, but a touch larger. Inside they only let you walk so far down the wings...I should have taken a shot of the main entry hall with its marble (?) tiles, but instead I just grabbed a few pics of various rooms.

Although the palace was more or less what you would expect of a palace, there was one interesting curiosity: King Ludwig's "Gallery of Beauties". This was one room filled wall-to-wall with portraits of beautiful women that Ludwig had commissioned. The writeup said something about Ludwig's selection from various social classes, from princesses to shoemaker's daughters, etc. I dunno, I think this Ludwig may have been a bit of a ladies' man. Maybe this room was his collection of "conquests"? :) Or maybe he was just a bit of a perv and this was his ahem, collection of unmentionable pictures (as they may have been at the time; today it would be walls full of Playboy pinups). Anyway, it was an interesting room.

No comments: