Sunday, April 26, 2009

Andrew's Mojito

3 tsp. cane sugar
1 jigger simple syrup (start with 1/2 c. white sugar + 1/2 c. water)
1 jigger lime juice (start with juice of 3 limes)
1 jigger rum (white or spiced)
3 sprigs mint leaves
ice
club soda

  1. make the simple syrup by dissolving the white sugar in water at medium heat; this will yield about 3/4 c., about enough for 3 mojitos
  2. squeeze out the juice of 3 limes, again yielding about enough for 3 mojitos
  3. in a tumbler throw in some mint leaves, add a tsp. cane sugar
  4. add a jigger of simple syrup (my jigger is a 1 1/2 oz. shot glass)
  5. muddle the mint leaves, simple syrup, and cane sugar (I don't have a muddler, I use a mortar, a handle of a wooden spoon can be used as well)
  6. add ice
  7. add jigger of lime juice
  8. add jigger of rum (I actually prefer spiced rum)
  9. top up with club soda (I like my mojitos fairly fizzy)

The above is my recipe for a mojito, based on what I remember of the fantastic mojitos I had in Barcelona. Theirs had so much sugar that you would get some crystals with every sip. My recipe doesn't really come close, but it seems to achieve a similar minty, bittersweet combination that isn't too boozy, which is fairly close to the Barcelona mojito. My recipe is a combination of several recipes I came across for mojitos. I think the cane sugar in the glass is key for muddling as it tends to provide extra friction for muddling the mint leaves. It also makes the mojito sweeter, which appeals to me. If you try this and you find it too sweet, cut back on the simple syrup and/or the cane sugar. Fresh-squeezed lime juice is also important, don't use that fake stuff out of a plastic bottle.

No comments: