Saturday, April 4, 2009

Glyptothek

After the BMW Museum, since I'd already seen paintings, I wanted to take a look at sculptures. The Glyptothek houses Greek and Roman ones, some dating back to 400 B.C. I took many pictures, not sure which ones to pick to put on here. I failed to take pics of the descriptions (they were all grouped on the wall while the statues were numbered, which would mean I'd have to more or less keep running back and forth between the placard and statue to take pictures). So even the ones I post I won't be able to describe very well.

At right is a panther (parts of), at left it's pretty self-explanatory. Below is a nice relief piece.

There were several themes that one could see: hunting and military were two prominent ones. Above right I think that may have been either some kind of crypt or a bathtub. Across the street we found more exhibits, including jewelery, armor, medical instruments, and more sculptures. I really don't have a representative shot that would do it all justice.

No comments: