Saturday, April 4, 2009

EG 2009 Dinner

Here's another shot of the Rathaus in Marienplatz. I took this on the way to the conference dinner at the Hofbrauhaus. Yesterday I found out that they have these figurines up in the tower that dance around when the bells ring. I think only at 5pm, I'm not sure. The conference dinner was a good combination of buffet and sit-down dinner. A couple of years ago EuroGraphics didn't have a sit-down dinner, just the regular kind of walk around from station to station to pick up finger food, then keep wandering with a tiny plate in your hand. Maybe find a small round table to stand up against. Not as good as the sit-down dinner in Saarbrucken in 2002. There we were at round tables where they came around and served food. Then there was dancing. All in this in old steel plant or something. Here, we had long tables at which we sat and then we got up and queued up for the buffet. They loaded your plate up with a ton of food; some kind of pig roast or something they were carving up along with plenty of beer.

During the course of dinner I discovered I was sitting across from my cousin! Small world! He's studying computer graphics at Trinity College Dublin, where I know some people as well. Later I met this lady working at Cambridge who was at Leicester previously; we had a common friend. Pretty fun, but I got so stuffed with food that all I could do after dinner was waddle to the hotel and crash. Well, it did go till midnight, which was kind of late anyway, so it was just as well. I would meet up with my brother the next day so it's a good thing I got some sleep :)

No comments: