Thursday, April 2, 2009

Deutsches Museum

My colleague here at the conference observed that "the Germans are all about engineering" and so he added "you have to go see the Deutsches Museum". So I took the S-Bahn and went. The only other similar kind of museum that I've been to is the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. This place is huge, and like the Smithsonian, seems to have a display on just about everything, although yes, the bent is clearly towards science and engineering.

Ok, so I was curious as to how "PC" this museum would be. Specifically, would they display any wartime things? Yup, the V-1 and V-2 were there as were several Messerschmitts (the Me 262, the first jet to be built in series and used in action, and the Bf 109, the standard fighter aircraft used by the Luftwaffe during WWII—these must have been the ones going up against the British Spitfires). I also happened to find nice model examples of a brigantine and the frigate, ships that were used in naval battles some 150 years earlier (although I don't recall whether the Germans had a fleet that figured as prominently as the fleets of Britain, France, Spain). The HMS Surprise was a frigate.

No comments: