Sunday, May 31, 2009

Adventures in movie making

I was trying to fix the aspect ratio of a video that we want to submit to a conference along with a paper for review. Turned out to be a bit of a hassle. I got my mits on iLife '09 and iWork '09 and so have a new version of iMovie with which to do this. I couldn't believe that iMovie refused to import mpeg clips. Incredible! Only AVI or DV. What is up with that? Which developer bozo decided MPG clips weren't worthwhile? As you can imagine this ticked me off to no end. Lucky for me, some kind hearted programmer came up with MPEG Streamclip that transcodes various video formats and gives this away for free. This saved my butt. After that I just had to hunt around iMovie's well concealed options to find the "fit" option instead of the "crop" default. Another braindead decision there to make "crop" the default. I also don't like iMovie's hyper-active scrubbing feature, but eventually I got used to it. I have to say the old iMovie was in many ways easier to use.

No comments: