Sunday, May 24, 2009

Flight to Vancouver/Kelowna

Caught the early (06:10) flight out to DTW, then on to Vancouver. That meant that I had to get up at 03:00 to drive up to GSP. At least the roads were empty. I lucked out and got bumped up to first class on the flight from DTW to YVR. Extra wide seats, lotsa legroom, and a fairly decent, free in-flight meal. Pretty nice views of the mountains just a few minutes before landing. What is that–Baker? Mount St. Helens maybe? The pilot didn't say although he tried pointing out other landmarks. I usually sit in the aisle anyway, so I didn't see too much, but did snap this one pic.

Pretty nice spread for breakfast: an omelet, sausages, taters, OJ, fruit salad, and a croissant. I should've gone for the bagel instead of the croissant, but all in all fairly decent. In YVR I grabbed eggs benny for lunch. Yesterday we cooked up a 3", 3 lb T-bone (bistecca fiorentine) for dinner with my brother. I think the steak turned out quite well and boy that was a huge piece of meat (the guy cutting it for us at Whole Foods said it was an "investment" :) I don't recall if anyone took photos. Maybe we should have cause I don't think we'll have anything like that again for some time.

Now I'm sitting at YVR waiting for the puddle-jumper out to Kelowna. Enjoying free wi-fi. Surprise, surprise! I thought for sure they'd be charging for that here. Maybe it's part of the 2010 Olympics preparations, I dunno. Looks like for the flight to Kelowna it'll be one of these turbo-props. It may even be the same one as in the pic–this one left for Kelowna a couple of hours earlier. I guess I could have made the earlier flight, but I decided for a longer layover so that I wouldn't miss it. I should be getting in to Kelowna around 4pm or so. And then it's on to the UBC dorms.

No comments: