Friday, May 29, 2009

New York Dolls

Last night we went out to Richard's on Richards to see the New York Dolls. "Straight up rock-n-roll" was the description and it fit. They rocked out traditional-sounding rock tunes. I guess they were mostly originals although I remember hearing a bit of Spoonful that I recognized as it's one of my favorites that we play as well. We used to play that number as fast as the Dolls but lately we morphed it into a more slower bluesy version. I still put in a bunch of drum and cymbal fills in the chorus which I think fits this particular tune and the Dolls' drummer was doing something similar as well (although better of course :) The opening band was The Clips (if I heard them correctly). It was a three-piece band with I think a girl on bass and a girl drummer. The singer? It was hard to tell. S/he sounded like Holly Golightly but I think it was a guy. Kind of an androgenous character. Anyway, after three days of conference, it was great to see some live rock-n-roll. I love seeing good live performances. Richard's has changed from its 80s glitterati days, but I think for the better actually. It's quite a good live music venue.

No comments: