Monday, May 25, 2009

UBCO

My flight to Kelowna was supposed to take off at 14:50 yesterday, but as you can see, it got delayed. I took that screenshot partly because it looks like my flight is the only one leaving late and partly to show off YVR's mobile flight schedule. It's just a web page, but I think it's pretty cool in that you can display what you see on the monitors on your mobile device. And for free. All airports should do this. Unfortunately a large number of them charge for wifi and one (DFW from what I recall) even charges for power. Anyway, you get what you pay for so the connection would drop occasionally (I couldn't email via the iPhone for some reason), but at least it was partially there.

That flight to Kelowna was hot! It's like they don't use A/C up here. Maybe those little air vents weren't working. Mercifully it was a short flight. So now I'm in my dorm room (residence) at UBCO (UBC Okanagan). It's pretty tiny with a shared bathroom. I don't think there's anyone next door; from the outside looking in it seems my neighboring dorm is being used for storage, so I might have the bathroom all to myself. They gave me a building that is up several flights of stairs so I feel like I have to climb up here every time I return. Meanwhile, the campus looks like it's just developing—construction everywhere, and it looks like it's closed for the summer, there don't seem to be any students around. Kelowna proper is a $2, 40-minute bus ride away. Hopefully there'll be something to eat around here because I don't think the bus is very practical for something like lunch. I brought some Canadian money we had sitting in one of our drawers at home. Turns out the $2 bill is something of a collectors' piece: none of the bus drivers wanted me to use it ("You still got a two dollar bill, eh? Better hold on to that, probably worth $3 today."), so I got the ride into town for free. Had to get some "toonies" to pay for the ride back. A cab ride I'm told is $40, so it makes sense to ride the bus. The schedule says they're serving breakfast in 20 minutes so I better cash in on that.

No comments: