Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shiny New Laptop

I just received a new MacBook Pro, courtesy of the School of Computing (thanks!). As it happens with new machines, one has to get through the pain of installing all types of software onto the new box. Everything from Apple stuff (iLife, iWork) to free but useful software such as Adobe Reader, Fink, and yes, even Microsoft software as well. I use Office on the Macs just to be compatible with Windows (l)users. I thought it was a bit funny that while some things installed ok, Microsoft's Office installation just sat there for about half an hour (I took a screenshot out of boredom and amazement). I think I was supposed to press some Ok button that got obscured by the Installer, but as the screenshot shows, how was I supposed to guess that? It just looked like it got stuck. Anyway, tonight the software install process continues. Now it's Fink complaining that it can't add ptex. WTF? I NEED latex/pdflatex, that's one of my bread and butter pieces of software. Not sure why it's compaining, but in the meantime I have to perform various reboots due to other things going in...we'll see how it goes.

No comments: