Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Out of the Vaults

I think my second talk yesterday went smoothly and the paper was well received. Actually all the papers were of very high quality, I'd say. I learned some interesting things from several of them and had pretty good discussions with the authors. It's a good conference whenever you can say that. I wish I were staying for a couple more days, but we're off to Prague tomorrow morning.

After the paper presentations last night we all went to Out of the Vaults, a pub, where we first played two rounds of "quiz", or trivia. Apparently it's serious business here. Questions covered Europe, science, film, and books. Some of them were fairly difficult. After two rounds we were treated to a performance by the Morrismen. Here they are dancing around with funny hats and white handkerchiefs. Good fun.

After the hay dance, or something to that effect, back to the pub for two more rounds of quiz. Then, after announcing the winners (wasn't our group; we scored a respectable 20.5 to the winners' 23 points) two guys performed some good ol' blues on a guitar and harmonica. They were excellent. But they lacked a drummer! And there was one sitting out in the audience. Pity there wasn't a kit sitting back there, I would have gladly provided accompaniment. Another conference attendee did get up and sang along with the two gents. She was very good as well and seemed to be quite comfortable on the little stage. I think I heard someone say she's done this regularly at COGAIN. With her voice, why not?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.