Saturday, September 22, 2007

Handyman Saturday

Karrraang!!! That awful sound. That we've now heard at least twice before (as far as I can remember). Those damn closet shelves again. I suppose its our own fault for overloading these wimpy things, but my beef is partially with the original house builders. They used one of my pet peeves: wall anchors. They should have screwed in the shelf fasteners into the studs. Which is what I'm doing to each shelf one by one as they collapse. This is shelf number three. The first time I rehung the first collapsed shelf it went crashing down again because I just redid what the builders did. D'oh! After it ripped out those useless anchors, I screwed in to the studs.

So here's the process. First, after all the clothes got moved out to the other room, sand the holes. The first image in the sequence shows the holes and the painter's tarp. Next, spackle the holes. Then wait an hour. Sand and spackle again. Wait another hour. Sand again, vacuum up the dust. Paint and then wait another couple of hours. Finally hang the shelf again. In retrospect it sounds fairly easy and I suppose it is, but it took the whole day. I just hope the stupid thing stays up for a while. There are only about five more that need to rip out the builder-installed anchors, and then I'll have redone the whole closet. Maybe if we don't stuff so much junk up there, I won't have to deal with this again.

Meanwhile, it was a nice warm day outside and we should have spent it lazing out there like Harley here. Ahh, it's the good life!

No comments: