Sunday, September 30, 2007

On the road again

It was a gorgeous day outside. Felt like mid-70s, maybe low 80s, slight breeze and sunny. We took the morning to complete winterizing the boat. This involves cleaning the interior (Corey) and washing the exterior (me). Other tasks include washing the porta potty, dumping water from the engine, adding fuel stabilizer, and disconnecting the battery. The boat always looks so good after we're done with it that all I wanted to do was take it out on the lake. But instead, it was time to bungee down the cover and tarp, and drive it over to its storage spot until next spring.

After finishing up in the storage yard (weed whacking, bug spraying—this seems to work well keeping the bugs out; one year an ant colony decided to move in, last year a bird pair nested under the boat cover—maybe the bug spray will discourage all potential squatters), it was time for me to hit the road once again. This time it's Charleston, SC, so just a 4 hr drive down the highway. Nice day for the drive, not too much traffic. They've also done some road work around Columbia; as I recall there was a bit of construction there last time I drove through. I think there was only one rough patch, the rest of the roads were ok.

These days I'm trying to drive a bit slower. Generally I kept to just about 9 miles over the limit, as you can see in the pic below. Occasionally I have to gun it to get around some joker sticking to the limit, but once I get back in the right lane I set the cruise and crank up the tunes.

The radio I installed in the car after the AC Delco unit crapped out plays mp3s so one CD (not even full) kept playing all the way down. I'll have to remember to make a larger CD when I get home. The one I played was just a dump of tunes on my machine at work, so it's got a bit of a random feel to it. I should have brought the shuffle as well, that's got a more up-to-date selection of songs and it plugs right into the USB jack of this Sony unit. It looks kinda funny with a USB memory stick hanging out, but it plays and that's what counts.

No comments: