Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mobile office

So here I am at GSP writing up these blog entries...I don't particularly like GSP's interior color scheme (too dark), or its low ceilings, but you can't beat the free wifi and free power. At some other airports (e.g., DFW I think it was) they were charging for power—outrageous! (People were looking for free power outlets, usually behind vending machines; I think if this kind of charging for power BS starts spreading, people will unplug the vending machines in favor of their laptops.) Similar thing with wifi—I think it's getting harder to find free wifi. I have a Boingo account, and AT&T is supposed to offer "free" wifi to their DSL/iPhone customers, but all I keep finding is AT&T's "premier" wifi hotspots, for which they want an additional $29.95 a month! AT&T = American Telephone & Thievery. So I'll use power and wifi where I can find it. In the pic you'll see I'm charging my iPhone, I downloaded pics from my camera, and am drinking my vitamin water. I started drinking these when I was buying lunch at school. They don't seem to have a lot of crap in them beyond vitamins and water and they taste ok. They didn't have the lemonade flavor I like (but this kiwi-strawberry isn't bad). They also didn't have my usual bag of M&Ms, bummer!

A couple of other notes on my trip up here. On the highway something went flying up off the road and nailed the beamer head-on. I couldn't avoid it. It looked like a piece of 2x6, maybe about 6 inches long. It looked like it splintered as it bounced off the front fascia and I heard a pretty loud thud as it did so. I figured for sure the plastic cracked or worse the xenon headlight was toast. On arrival at GSP I found nothing! Maybe the thing just bounced off, whatever it was. Lucky! Meanwhile, my garment bag, a very good bag, btw, is starting to show some wear and tear (literally). The bottom part ripped and a few of the screwheads are starting to show through the fabric covering them. The bottom part would catch on the pavement, so I had no choice but to duct tape the thing. It ain't pretty, but I hope at least it holds for a while...I'll see how it held up in Barcelona.

No comments: