Monday, March 30, 2009

AT&T Basic hot spots: there are none

Letter to AT&T:

I would like to register a complaint regarding AT&T Basic hotspots: there don't seem to be any!

I often travel to Europe via US airports (e.g., DTW) and Amsterdam in particular (Schiphol). I also pick hotels with wifi service. Most of these locations offer Boingo accessibility which then in turn allows logging on to AT&T wifi via the weroam/ prefix, in my case being weroam/xxxxxxxxxxxxx, my FastAccess DSL. I upgraded to Xtreme service so that I could make use of AT&T hotspot service.

I have only managed to ever make use of the Basic hot spot service once or twice a year or so ago. Now it seems that although Boingo and other providers still show AT&T in their drop-down lists, all these hotspots are now Premier hot spots, for which AT&T wants to charge another $19.95 a month.

Personally I think the AT&T Basic hotspot linkage with DSL service falls in the realm of false advertising, since I can never anymore get this to work and hence benefit from this association.

The AT&T wifi locator is buggy resulting in an extremely frustrating user experience. If I search for Michigan locations, for example, then click on Detroit to check for hot spot availability at DTW, the locator throws up results for Cleveland, OH. When I look for hot spots in Europe, I get a map with many blue dots on it, which look encouraging, but drilling down to particular cities produces empty results (e.g., Munich, which the located misinterpreted as Much, but seemed to at least recognize Munchen, Germany).

The end result is that I pay for what the AT&T web pages suggest is a service (Basic hot spots) that I can never find. I think this is a gross misrepresentation by AT&T. At the very least the wifi locator should be redesigned to show truthfully that the Basic hot spots are few and far between instead of leading to a false hope that maybe I may be able to take advantage of service for which I "upgraded" to.

No comments: