Sunday, December 28, 2008

Mont Royal

Here's Montreal's Metro that I mentioned earlier. We were closest to the Guy-Concordia station on the green line. Way back when I used to live in Montreal (1974-1979) we used to live on the mainland, beyond the Longueuil station (now called Longueuil-Universite-de-Sherbrooke). Several of the station names have changed as the Metro has expanded. I think when we were there the green line only went as far as Atwater, ending at Frontenac on the other end. I don't think the blue line even existed back then and Henri-Bourassa was the last station of the orange line. The 1976 Olympics had a lot to do with the expansion, although I don't recall which station was called Le Stade or even if there was one (I think there was one). A side-by-side map comparison would be interesting to look at.

Above are two Metro plans, atop the current (2008) plan, below the 1966 version (from http://www.metrodemontreal.com/history/toc.html). From what I recall, in 1974 the metro hadn't changed much since 1966. I think it expanded for the 1976 Olympics, at which point the plan changed, but up until then, my first memories of the plan are as the 1966 one. Notice that back then the central transfer station was Berri-de Montigny, Jean-Drapeau was Île-Sainte-Hélène (adorned by the Man and His World logo) and Guy-Concordia was simply Guy.

But I digress...the title of this post is Mont Royal as it was meant to feature the pic from atop Mont Royal, where we ventured up one snowy day. My calves were sore for two days after that but it was an excellent hike. The view, while a bit overcast, still shows the iconic McGill library (at least that's what I think it used to be; I think it may still be).

No comments: