Sunday, December 28, 2008

Flight to YUL

Last week we flew up to Montreal for the holidays. We flew through Detroit. On descent Corey spotted a shipping lane through an iced over section of what I think may have been Lake Erie. I had to look this up after our return to see whether this body of water might be visible on approach to DTW. I think it's the southwest portion of Erie, and possibly part of a shipping lane connecting Lake Ontario, which then I think connects to the Saint Lawrence Seaway and out to sea. All the Great Lakes are connected, and apparently connect down to the Gulf of Mexico as well as the Atlantic (via the St. Lawrence).

And here's Montreal at night a few minutes before our plane touched down. I used to live in Montreal back in 1974 for five years, but I can't recognize anything in the pic. The airport (P. E. Trudeau, formerly known as Dorval) is southwest of Montreal's downtown, but I can't tell where Centre-Ville might be in this pic.

No comments: