Friday, June 27, 2008

Flight to SEA

My short week in Vancouver came to an end with a very picturesque flight out from YVR to SEA. Only a half-hour flight (I remember the drive down there was about 3 hrs). The sun was out in a cloudless sky and the views were excellent. Above is YVR itself, with Richmond off to the right. I could probably find my parents' home in the pic if I zoomed in and studied it a bit.

To the right we have the Tsawassen ferry terminal, with two ferries in the pic. The last time I was on these in 2005 on the trip to Graphics Interface in Victoria, they took a very interesting route, right in between a number of small islands. I had forgotten about that, thinking that they ferry just went straight through from terminal to terminal.

The rest of the flight to Sea-Tac was over a bunch of islands (San Juan?) which I thought provided a really nice area for gunkholing on a cruising yacht. Indeed, I saw several interesting anchorages, marinas, and the like. There were a number of sailboats, but I think outnumbered by power craft, at least this morning. I'm not quite sure what these islands were, were they Canadian or American? At one point the pilot said that Victoria was visible off the starboard side. I was on a port seat so I didn't see Victoria, but if it was there, perhaps the islands are Canadian. Would need to consult a chart to confirm.

4 comments:

chumly said...

Flight views, fantastic.

Darlene said...

first of all why didn't you tell us you were coming to BC & phone us? and why didn't you bring Corey? and what is gunkholing?

Andrew said...

I only had a limited amount of time in Vancouver (3 days!) with 1 day taken up at UBC (business reason why I was up there). Corey didn't come because she has a limited number of holidays and she's going to use them up on a road trip we're planning to Key West later this summer.

Andrew said...

Oh, gunkholing...that's taking your ship into nooks and crannies of a coastline just to check them out or to drop anchor for lunch, dinner, or to stay overnight.