Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dinner on Kits

Last night I went out for dinner with my UBC hosts. I was treated to dinner at the Watermark restaurant on Kits beach. Apparently there was some controversy about establishing this restaurant as it was thought by local residents that it could be too rowdy (what with alcohol being served and everything). Meanwhile, as it was beforehand, the building housed the dilapidated (or nearly so, so I was told) changing rooms. I think the renovations made transforming the changing rooms to this seaside restaurant were brilliant.

Excellent location with an excellent view of the harbour. Facing west, the restaurant offers the potential for very nice sunsets. It was almost a bit too much yesterday as the sun (yes, sun! in Vancouver; it's true) was a touch blinding before it slid in behind clouds. So we got all of the white glare but not enough of the beautiful oranges, purples, and pinks.

The menu was fairly contemporary, with local items, BC or west coast at least. I had a pint of Sleeman's and the lobster dumplings for appetizer: fantastic! I love dumplings and I love lobster. Whoever put this combination together is a genius! I could feast on these for dinner regularly. They're somewhat similar to the fried dumplings that our local Chinese fast food place makes, except that our local cook's dough is a bit thicker and I'm never quite sure what meat is actually used inside the dumplings (pork maybe...hopefully nothing more "exotic" :)

For the main course I had BC salmon on a bed of risotto accompanied by a glass of Pinot Blanco. Simple, fresh, delicious! For dessert we had The Cholocate Bar—some kind of chocloate moose with a scoop of raspberry ice cream on the side, dotted with raspberries on top. Smooooooth... Walking outside after dinner, looking at the water and mountains made me wonder why I ever left!

No comments: