Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Beemaster

This week we're both trying to finish a bunch of items on our TO DO lists so that we can go off on our road trip on Saturday with nothing left outstanding. At work I knocked out revisions to a journal paper that's been in review since last October. Hopefully those were the final revisions, before those of the editors', that is. That and a couple of other things are on the verge of completion. Meanwhile tonight I knocked off a couple of tasks around the house. It seems a bunch of things have decided to go and break at the same time. The truck is in the shop with some faulty security feature gone awry. At home, I replaced the reservoir in the fridge. There's a series of tubes (no, not the internet) in the fridge that keeps the on-demand water cold. Unbeknownst to us, this large plastic twisty tube has been collecting some kind of black grunge in its folds. Lately this crap has been spewing out into our drinking water. Quite gross. I bought a replacement from my favorite online appliance parts store and managed to swap the thing out without breaking anything or causing a major flood in the kitchen. Am now enjoying a clean, cool, glass of water. Finally, my last task of the evening involved the bee suit you see me wearing. It was time to get rid of what I suspect is a gigantic yellow jacket nest sitting in our driveway island. At least I imagine it to be quite large. We'll see tomorrow. I sprayed Sevin dust in there and stuffed an SOS pad saturated with the stuff right down the entrance hole. That worked a couple of years ago when they stung me in the forehead a couple of times during my retreat. This year, I saw 'em coming, heard 'em buzzing, but they didn't get me! I hope they do what they did two years ago and vacate the patch of ground they've dug themselves into.

No comments: