Monday, February 4, 2008

Notes from the weekend

Last Friday the Hounds played another gig at 356. Due to some band politics we lost our bass and slide guitar duo late last year so this was our first gig with a new bassist. I miss the slide guitar but the bassist was excellent. I think we sounded pretty good and I think my drumming is improving. I love the sound of that Peavey snare I bought some time ago (last year I think it was). I experimented a bit with new brushes that I bought before the gig and the drum's dual snare tensioners. The brushes are pretty quiet, but they give a nice sound, especially on cymbals. Our band tends to be a bit loud so I'm not sure how often I'll use the brushes during a gig. The snare's dual tensioners produce two distinct sounds. With one tensioned the other loose, the snare sounds a bit "boxy". With both tensioned I get more of a crack out of it. It sounds good both ways and is fun to play. The crowd got going around 10:30-11:00pm and the place was hopping all the way till 2am. I didn't get home till 3am as usual.

On Saturday we did a few things around the house, walked the cats, made home-made pizza (Corey tried her favorite sandwich toppings on pizza; I think she liked it), and for movie night we watched "1408" (a Stephen King thriller). It wasn't that good (I fell asleep :) Afterwards we watched both DVDs of the Johnny Cash TV shows. The first disc I think is much better—the show's new and Cash seemed more focused on the music. The second disc documented how the program degenerated into this goofy variety show that was more about skits than music. It still had a few bright spots (Derek and the Dominos for example), but the rest was a bit of a waste. Anyway, my favorite bit from both discs is a young Waylon Jennings doing Brown Eyed Handsome Man. I found it on YouTube, I'll embed it below. He does the song last so you have to watch the whole thing to get to the good stuff. We stayed up till 3am so it was two late nights in a row.

No comments: