Sunday, January 27, 2008

Spring in SC?

Not quite spring yet, but it was quite pleasant today. Almost 60 F I think. Corey got the "urge to purge" as I call it, meaning she goes through stuff finding a bunch to get rid of. Like spring cleaning. Today's target: the kitchen cupboard. A whole bunch of things went flying out, once again filling up our garbage bins, meaning another trip to the dump. Luckily they don't charge for filling up the landfill here (at least not yet).

I decided to wash the car. Other than brake dust on the wheels, it wasn't too dirty, but it wasn't too cold, so it's nice to take advantage and wash the car without freezing. The dealer did an ok job prepping the car, but you could see a few places like the mirrors that needed to get cleaned. So after moving the bike's garage door receiver to the other garage door, installing a new battery and harness (on the bike), and plugging it in, I finally got around to giving the beamer a bath. Corey brought the other Harley around to inspect once I was done.

Another shot of the clean machine. Check out the engine—I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner powerplant. I'll try to maintain this level of cleanliness. At least the shiny black surfaces. Gotta keep the blue and white "propellers" of the Roundel nice and shiny anyway. Underneath is an inline 6 that puts out as much horsepower as my old V8.

Oh, about the bike: we stopped by the Harley dealer to see if they had a battery kill switch. They told me there wasn't one, but they suggested a battery harness and a recharger. I initially wanted a kill switch to stick out from under the seat, and the charger plug does this exactly in the place where I wanted the switch to sit. Easy install, just a couple of zip ties to hold the plug in place. So now the bike sits there plugged in to the wall. The charger keeps the battery fresh and is supposed to be smart enough to turn off when the battery's at full charge. I think this is even a better solution than the kill switch I wanted. I think if the weather stays nice like this I might have to take the bike to work, alternating between the beamer and hog. Corey feels the "urge to purge" but I feel the "need for speed".

No comments: