Saturday, January 26, 2008

Winter in SC

Thought I'd post some pics from the previous couple of weeks. The first pic is of our typical (annual) "snow storm". The pics were taken after work so you can already see the snow melting somewhat. Meanwhile, this "blizzard" caused a two-hour delayed opening at work (the University didn't open till 11am). Not only that, but I'm sure most of the bread and milk was bought up from local grocery stores...the bread and milk hoarding is some kind of local tradition.

Meanwhile, back in our corner of the cul-de-sac, we were finishing up our forest walk with the cats. Sometimes we finish up by doing a garden tour around the house. Both cats seem to enjoy these walks, this time even though they had to trudge along on the snow. Some of their favorite fallen tree logs were covered in the snow, and it was a bit comical to see them slip and slide a bit, but they managed ok. In all the excitement with the beamer I'd forgotten to take a parting shot of the old firebird. I think in fact this is the last shot with the firebird in the garage.

The last two shots of the roll show my new wheels as I see it coming up to it after work and after a quick hop to the store. Today we took it on up to Greenville to do some more shopping. Good excuse to go for a ride. And recharge the battery. On Friday like a dufus I left the lights on. I was suprised to find the car would still start and that the battery wasn't drained. Either the car is smart enough to turn off the lights after it detects that the key fob is out of the car, or the battery is still fresh enough to hold its charge, or the lights (parking lights that I had on, not the Xenon headlights) don't draw too much. It could also be that the battery is just so huge that it can take a day's drain (it's the largest car battery I've seen). There was so much traffic in Greenville that we only managed to hit a couple of stores. Corey got some more clothes, I got a new gel battery for the Harley along with a battery harness and wall wart charger. Hopefully this will solve my battery discharge problem. I have a cheapo acid battery in there right now that drained itself pretty quickly during the couple of months of inactivity. That seems a little fast to me, maybe there's a short in the bike somewhere, I dunno. In any case, once I put the harness on I'll just plug the bike into the wall and that should do it, a fresh cranking battery every time, I hope :)

No comments: