Saturday, May 14, 2011

Windows in a Box

I'm giving virtual machines another go...last time I tried VMware, I thought it sucked. It wasn't free, and what it did not support firewire or accelerated graphics. I don't know (yet) whether this is any better, but I'm giving VirtualBox a try. The idea is to run an eye tracking server in the virtual machine so that I run my OS X client at the same time and thus have both server/client running on one machine. This way when I travel (if I travel with this particular eye tracker), I won't have to lug two laptops around, just my Mac. We'll see how it goes. Right now I have Windows 7 installed, or rather, confined to its virtual box and the eye tracking software is running; I just need to hook it up to the eye tracker itself via USB and see if that works. I was told it would work with Parallels, but I'm going the el-cheapo route first. So far so good...if it works as I hope, then I'll post more on which eye tracker it is and how I find software development for it. Everything should work in Qt, my platform of choice. Oh...the funny thing about Windows is that of course the major part of the installation was Windows Update, what else?! You can see that yet another update was successful :P

No comments: