Thursday, March 18, 2010

Highlands Bowl

Despite United's best efforts, we finally arrived in Aspen and set about getting our ski gear (rentals) and settling in to the hotel (crappy wifi connection so I'll have to write more later). We lucked out with weather again and again and got 4 straight days of fantastic sunshine. At left is a pic of the Highlands bowl and the only way of getting there: by snowcat. I didn't see that stick in the frame, so it looks odd, sorry about that, but I had to hurry and get my skis off before boarding the cat. This one was full, kneeling room only. The best way I can describe the cat ride is like getting on the plane for a skydive: kinda smelly due to the exhaust but exhilarating because of the expectation. I dunno if others got this, but just about every time I boarded the plane for a skydive, I got drymouth from the excitement. As Patrick Swayze said in Point Break: "100% pure adrenaline, other guys snort for it, jab a vein for it, and all you gotta do is jump". Here, all you gotta do is get on the cat. More later...

No comments: