Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back to the Highlands

This is I think one of my favorite lifts on the Highlands, although the runs that lead to it are all quite difficult. This is Temerity, and it's the lift that you take up after doing the bowl. On the last day I skied Soddbuster, a kind of steep chute that reminded me of a long version of the Soudan Coulouir on Blackcomb. What also interesting is that there are several runs that I had just found that are to the left of the chair (when looking up). They are all kind of hidden within trees and I think all of them have fairly interesting (and challenging) moguls. Below is a pic of Mushroom that I saw on the map but couldn't find immediately. I finally found it below where skiers get picked up by the cat to go to the bowl. The reason why I liked the Temerity chair, I think, is because it reminded me a lot of the old blue chair on Whistler. I don't think that the blue chair exists anymore. Last time we were there, the blue chair was replaced by something larger and faster. I dunno; that new lift, while faster, seemed to lack a certain "familiarity". I'm not sure how else to describe it, but Temerity had this feel to it. Maybe because it was somewhat slow and quiet. You felt like you were getting a well-deserved rest after getting through the tough terrain that you had to get through to get to.

No comments: