Saturday, April 5, 2008

New Wheels

Luggage wheels, that is. Early in 2007 my old rolling garment bag started falling apart so I splurged and bought myself a Victorinox wheeled garment bag (SKU 31771 I think is the closest model, but mine seems older). This bag was a bit roomier and seemed pretty sturdy. Last year in Finland one of the handle bolts popped off on me so with the help of my Finnish hosts we managed to replace the hardware with new nuts and bolts. However I also noticed that the wheels were starting to show the abuse they were getting and started deforming and cracking. I emailed the good people of Victorinox and they were happy to send me replacement wheels. They look a little sportier but I'm not sure if they are any stronger. But at least they're new so my bag now has "fresh legs". It's all packed up, weighing in at a svelt 36 pounds (the airlines now charge for bags in excess of their weight limits—these differ from airline to airline and can be as low as 40 lbs). Now it's a few more things to do around the house such as turn off various water taps, turn off a few computers, etc., and we're off!

No comments: