Monday, December 10, 2007

The Bistro

The holiday season turns our house into a bistro. We just put up the lights yesterday. I think it's time to update to LED lighting. Corey wants to add some color as well to make it look less like a bistro and more like holiday decorations. I don't mind the bistro look, maybe we should leave it up all year? They serve good sorbet at the bistro.

Corey found this fat-free alternative to dessert. It's not bad although the lemon-flavored variety is really tangy. Better for us probably than moose tracks, NY fudge chunk, or chubby hubby. Which reminds me: time again to start thinking about next year's resolution. Maybe after I get back from the latest trip I'm on.

I am once again at GSP, waiting on a flight out to DTW, then on to AMS, and then HEL. Helsinki, that is. And then another flight to Tampere. I'll be there a couple of days visiting eye tracking friends and giving a talk (which I need to complete once I finish updating the blog). Then it's a 5-hour train ride to Joensuu where I play opponent to a PhD candidate. I need to finish preparing for that as well. Afterwards another flight for a couple of days in Helsinki. I needed a couple nights' stay there to catch the 06:00 flight out to AMS next week. Then it's back through DTW and home again. Hopefully it won't be too dark or cold in Finland. When I left the house it was sunny and going to 76F. A bit of a warm spell we're having the last couple of days.

Yesterday I finally found some time to relax. We sat on the dock watching the sun set in the warm late evening. Corey said it felt like spring. Saturday was a nice breezy day. I wish I could have had time to go sailing, but I was too busy wrapping up the 2nd of 2 proposals. This last week was very hectic: two papers, two proposals, conference management, and all during last week of classes. Anyway, now that's all done so I can concentrate on finishing preparation for Finland.

If I get there that is...they just announced the flight to DTW will come in at 15:45. Meanwhile the flight out to AMS is supposed to leave at 16:10...they said anything after 16:15 is OK, so looks like I'm in a spot of trouble. I'll have to go queue up with the rest of the people with connections to see whether I'll get to Helsinki on time or not...stay tuned...

No comments: