Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Saucer peaches

"Well, they're in! The Mackinaw peaches!" That's what I thought when I tasted these—saucer (or doughnut) peaches (Mackinaws don't exist, that was a fictional peach that Kramer was going nuts about on a Seinfeld episode). "It's like a circus in your mouth!" I concur! It was a kind of revelation to me because for the longest time I was really averse to peaches because of their hairy skin. I just couldn't stand the feel of those little hairs on my tongue. These little mini peaches looked kinda cute so I bought a few. When they're ripe these things split nicely, you just pull the pit out, and then you eat both halves of the remaining "doughnut". They taste great, and for some reason the skins of these little guys doesn't bother me. Maybe I can eat peaches again! Maybe my aversion to the hairy skin has subsided. That'd be great cause they're pretty tasty fruit. But, as with the Mackinaws, are they only around for two weeks out of the year?

No comments: