Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tama Rockstar

Here's my 4th drum kit: the Tama Rockstar I acquired by trading my old Pintech electronic kit. I used this when playing with a second band that I was in for a while. The kit was at the place where we practiced. For a while there I was at band practice twice a week (and during one stretch three times a week!). My drumming improved by this extra activity and I enjoyed the music we were playing, but now that my services are no longer required, I had to bring this kit home. I'm not quite sure what to do with it: bag it, store it, or sell it? I cleaned it up a little for these pics and used the kit to test out my most recent cymbal acquisitions. The left pic features my Zildjian K Mastersound hi-hats that I bought in Montreal and the 18" Meinl Soundcaster China that I got in Austin. The China is trashy and loud and I will only use it sparingly at gigs. The hi-hats are quite good and I'm looking forward to trying them at our next gig on Friday the 13th. Although it's difficult to tell I also have a K fast crash in the pic at left that will likely be one my main go-to cymbals. The right pic has the A Custom Zildjian cymbal pack. These are fairly bright cymbals (meaning their sound tends to sustain for longer than "darker" sounding cymbals, like the K fast crash). I thought maybe that if I were to sell this drum kit I'd sell it as a whole, with throne, double kick pedal, and the A Customs for a complete and actually quite decent kit. But now I'm thinking I might want to keep one or two of the A Custom cymbals for a bit of variety on my main road kit. Or use the Tama Rockstar as the main road kit and sell the Gretsch? The Tama kit has boomier toms that I really like.

No comments: