Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Friday

Last Friday the Hounds played 356 once again, and again on "First Friday", the night before Clemson's first home football game of the season. First Friday entails a parade and with that usually a decent crowd. Which is who we like playing to: a packed house. I was getting a little worried around 11pm when there were only a few people in the place, but it picked up quite a bit by 11:30pm. By the time we were into our second set the bar was jammed. I think it was probably our best performance yet. Maybe we're just gelling as a band, improving as individuals, or both. I think practice on my electronic kit is paying off as I feel more confident on my road kit. I think I finally got the cymbals organized the way I want now. My 14" crash was a bit too far to reach, but sticking in the boom vertically seems to have improved the layout. The 16" crash fits in on a side boom just below the 14" and above the ride. I'm fairly happy with the cymbals, but if I were to change anything out, it might be the ride to something less brilliant and more bell-like. Maybe a larger 22" ride? There seems to be a bit too much shimmer on the 20" A-custom when playing ride, I think I'd prefer a little more ding to it. But there's no rush, the kit sounds pretty nice as is presently. When do we play next?

No comments: